[at-l] Policing the trail...

At 05:42 PM 5/19/2005 -0500, Felix wrote:
>william fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>>I was appalled to hear that maintainers are not allowed to use chainsaws in
>>some areas.  That is an example of complete disrespect for the labor and
>>laborers.
>
>Isn't it respect to the area, though?

There are several factors influencing the use of chainsaws by maintainers.
One is safety. The responsible organization cannot simply take your word
for it that you know how to safely use a chain saw. If something bad
happens, they can be sued and if they did not exercise proper oversight
their insurance may not cover it. NFPs don't have money to throw away on
injuries to overconfident volunteers who do dumb things and get hurt.
Granted you can get hurt with a bow saw but it's easier with a chain saw.

Around here (Adirondacks) the rangers and professional trail crews
generally do any necessary chainsaw work. They've been trained and
certified to satisfy the insurance carriers and bureaucrats. Chainsaws, the
necessary gas, tools and safety gear is heavy. I'd rather carry a nice
light bow saw anyway.

Some areas don't allow any motorized equipment. Not just ATVs but any
motorized equipment. It's part of the 'wilderness' thing. We go to the
woods to hear the birds sing, water babble and the wind through the trees.
Maintainers don't generally need chainsaws to do their thing so the noise
is unnecessary. In the case of unusual and severe damage (i.e. following a
hurricane or other large blowdown incident) I've seen exceptions made on an
emergency basis to get to stranded hikers but once the emergency is over
and the blowdowns are merely inconvenient, it's back to the bow saws. A
sharp bow saw will go through a sizeable tree faster than you think and the
exercise is good for you.