[at-l] colouring

--- Shane Steinkamp <shane@theplacewithnoname.com> wrote:
> > How come when you want something to be whiter, you 'whiten' it. Like
> > toothpaste will whiten teeth. And, if you want something blacker, you
> > 'blacken' it. Like some fish are 'blackened'. But, you never hear of
> > someone wanting their lawn to 'greenen'. Or, when the sky clears, it
> > hasn't 'blueened'.  I'm just wondering.
>
> When I get stuck on stuff like that, I just ask myself, "If I were a fish,
> what kind of fish would I be?" and somehow that makes it all better.
>
> Shane

If you want something to be whiter, you use "whiting."
Blacker: "blacking"
Bluer: "bluing" (but it makes your laundry whiter)
I've heard of the "greening of America"
My guess is that some words are easier to say, the rest live a day and go away.

Some say I'm huffish and occasionally stiffish, but I'm sort of deafish to all that.

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03

Yahoo! Mail