[at-l] Iron Fire Ring

At 11:59 AM 5/19/2005 -0400, Jan Leitschuh wrote:

>Here's one especially for you maintainer-types,
>
>Where can I obtain one of those heavy iron fire rings  so often seen at
>shelters and commercial camp sites?
>I wouldn't mind using rocks, but these are the Sandhills, and there isn't
>a rock in the county. Besides, I like the containment idea. That, and
>burning all these credit card offers I'm getting. They must know I'm
>working again. I didn't get a one while on the Trail.
>
>ShoeBurner

Fires are illegal where I am a maintainer but I have a fire ring in my side
yard at home. It is a truck tire rim. Large truck rims don't have a center
part. They just hold the tire and there is a lip around the inside of the
rim that gets clamped between two spider-like center sections when the
wheel is installed on the truck. Anyway, I just put it on the ground, added
some sand to the bottom (about 2") and viola', fire ring! Check with a
junkyard that deals in truck parts or a place that sells truck tires. Find
one that has a crack or other damage, it is still suitable for a fire ring.