Water in SWVA -- Was: Re: [at-l] Need Rain in PA

The other pattern we have had is widely scattered, fast moving thunder
showers.  In this case, even the "official accumulation" (in the limited area
where the rain did fall) is misleading as the water runs off into the stream
w/o much soaking into the ground.  I was out in one last week where the runoff
was very noticeable but when I went back to work the ground below the leaf
litter was dry.

Re: Greenbriar's report that the springs were all flowing in PA.

I didn't mean to suggest that water was a problem for hikes here in SWVA --
yet.  Most of the springs are still running.

Were I to be hiking a segment that I didn't know exceptionally well, I would
not be aware of the signs of the problem.  However, when working the segments
which I maintain, I observe things, which are easy to miss, if walking
through.  Yesterday, I was doing the secondary chainsawing and cleaning drains
in one of my segments.  The spring at the shelter was fine.  A few of the
"intermittent" springs still had water.  However, this this early in the
season this segment normally has a lot seeps and springs, which normally start
to dry up in June, or July.  Nearly all were dry, already.  Also, when
cleaning drains in the Spring, I normally find small trickles of water below
the accumulated leaf litter, in nearly all.  Yesterday, most were dry.

Chainsaw