[at-l] Big Bend hiking

Hummingbird,

Best hiking in Big Bend is in an area called the Chisos Basin.  It's an area
at a pretty high elevation  in the center of the park.  Oddly enough it's
forested and pretty cool compared to the desert floor in the surrounding
park.  I've heard it's got some great out and back day hikes that are
anywhere from a couple of miles to ten miles.  (always did bus camping with
a church group when I was a teenager - we never did much extended hiking in
the park) One of those hikes goes to a stand of trees that aren't found
anywhere else in the world.  Also has a bird species (finches or warblers or
something) that are only found there in the park.

For extended hikes be very very careful about water.  You have to hike in
and out with all your water or cache water before a hike.  Don't expect to
find any springs along the trails.

There is another area of the park called Santa Elena Canyon at the west end
of the park where you can walk up alongside the Rio Grande into the canyon.
Spectacular sandstone along the canyon walls that turns it into an optical
illusion where you think you're walking up hill alongside the river when
you're not.

Down at Boquillas Canyon at the east end of the park you can cross into
Mexico. Use to be able to take a burro ride up to Boquillas in Mexico - not
sure if they still do that.

When you're in San Antonio don't bother with a tour of the Alamo.  Drive by
but it's a tourist trap inside.  Go take a tour of the San Jose Mission in
the South West part of San Antonio.  Best mission in San Antonio.  Great
little church with a very old stained glass window and it's got peacocks
roaming the grounds inside the compound.  For eats in San Antonio try any La
Fonda restaurant for the best Tex-Mex food in the world or Schilo's deli
downtown by the river - one of the best Deli's in the world.  For the view
take a walk or boat ride along the San Antonio river.

I grew up in San Antonio,
Too Tall Paul