  From: Slyatpct@aol.com
  To: athummingbird@dnet.net ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Big Bend hiking

  In a message dated 5/9/2005 7:16:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, athummingbird@dnet.net writes:

    We will be heading into New Mexico next and to many other states.  I don't know much about the trails in the West.  How would I find out where the trail heads are?

  The AAA state highway maps have the Continental Divide proper and the PCT marked.  Like the AT, the crest or high point is normally the trail.  Some of the passes have pulloffs and signs.  The local outfitters should have some more detailed info or guidebooks.   For the CDT, in New Mexico you could visit Mt Taylor, the Gila or San Pedro Parks Wildernesses, El Malpais, the Ghost Ranch or Cumbress Pass, CO.

  If you're going to California and the PCT,  Kennedy Meadows (from Inyokern) will probably have lots of hikers seeking rides to town and/or bus stations for a possible. flip. In early June, Kennedy Meadows is a BIG gathering spot before the High Sierra.

  Sly