[at-l] Night Hiking

In a message dated 5/7/2005 8:06:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

I'm  moderately night blind, so it takes a very long time for my eyes to
adjust  to the darkness.  I find that wearing dark glasses when in  direct
sunlight during the previous day helps a LOT with this.   Sometimes, though,
I forget to wear my  glasses...

I hear people tell that when the temperature rises in Summer (or anytime  for
that matter) the snakes awaken from their long winter's nap and begin to
leave their dens to find nourishment.  They hunt at all hours (when there  is
food available -- get it) but night time is a time to get those small animals
that venture to find food for themselves or to find water.  Some have  indicated
that they have come across Rattlesnakes and Copperheads on the trail  during
early morning or late afternoon hours.  Are they not out at night as  well?

So, it is safe to go hiking at night on the AT?  AND, what about those  calls
of nature that happen to some after the midnight hour?  Are there not  snakes
lurking near the shelters where there are mice scurrying about?   Wouldn't
the snakes be angry at someone who interrupts their hunt for  mice?  Oh, the
terror of the trail.  Instead of Lions and Tigers and  Bears, Oh My!  It is
Raccoons, and mice, and snakes, Oh My!  Oh, a  bears too.

Skylander