[at-l] Re: Determination

That is a distinction which you did not show with your examples and which actually does not exist. In fact, determination has nothing to do with whether what you are determined to do is stupid or not. As the OED defines it, determination is a "firmness of purpose." It mentions nothing of that purpose being smart or stupid, simply that it be firm or resolute. That has been my point from the beginning. That is exactly why each of your examples proves my point.

Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:At 05:17 AM 5/5/2005 -0700, Robert wrote:
>Maybe you should try reading them again. Or I can come up with examples
>like these. A man tries to lift 10,000 lbs on his back with just his arms.
>It doesnt work. He tries it again flipping onto his front from his back (a
>little differently, wouldn't you agree?) and fails again. He tries another
>way, maybe on his side. This would be an example of determination under
>those rules and yet, I'm thinking it really falls under the category of
>stupidity.

I repeat "The distinction is between those who do *exactly* the same thing
in *exactly* the same way over and over, expecting a different result VS
those who EXAMINE WHAT THEY DID AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS FOR THEIR ERRORS when
attempting it again" (emphasis added). Examining what may have caused the
failure and making adjustments that allow for that would not include simply
changing one's body position when trying to lift 10,000 pounds, a weight
sufficient to crush a human body. That would indeed be stupid. Working up
in stages to a realistic and attainable goal (lifting 200 lbs) is an
example of determination. With your examples you have made exactly the
distinction I referred to.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile