[at-l] Various thoughts re the last digest I hiked thru

1)  Re Bryson's Book - sometimes us 2-legged, kinda ugly things take
ourselves way too seriously; the book was a scream to read and, despite
my vain side's belief that I am above such things, and that it
trivialized the Trail, and that it missed the deeper meaning . . .
despite all those kewl, self-aggrandizing things I like to say to puff
my skinny chest out a bit . . . the truth is, I had such fun reading
that book in late 2000, that when I finished, I literally walked into my
senior partner's office and announced that I had to have six months off
to do some long distance walking . . . and the rest is part of my own
personal history of a changed life . . . now, don't get me wrong, the
Bryson book didn't do the changing directly, and certainly did not
account for the impact the AT and all the awesome people wandering on it
had on me, but it sure as hell made me laugh and helped jump-start my
long-dormant ambition to get out there and do it! :)  I also think his
book re Australia is really fun - kinda makes me want to spend 6 months
down under - in my spare time, that is! :)

2)  Hitchiker's Guide was a lot of fun, too - good to know someone other
than Bryson can make me laugh and not be too serious, and yet touch on
some serious things at the same time! :)

3)  Great posts about determination - I really liked the ABC's one

4)  The Lord God Bird is just an awesome thing to think about - heard
something on NPR where the origins of that unusual nickname were said to
lie in the fact that when some of "us sutherners" saw and heard it, we
were known to say things like "Lord, God, What a Bird!"  Wouldn't it be
awesome to see one?  . . .  of course, that kinda brings me full circle
to all the posts about "oh, no - not a movie to publicize the AT and
ruin it by having too many people come . . ."  ain't that the dilemma of
lots of environmental issues?  loving things to death from our own
selfish perspective??  kinda reminds me of a cynical definition of an
"environmentalist" - the last person to close on their lot in the
sensitive area! :)  ho-ho . . . in the end, we either figure out how to
work together to arrive at consensus solutions to things we all want, or
we just go around fighting and demonizing each other - easy choice if ya
take a few steps back and do a bit of musing . . . or even Bryson
amusing! :)

Have a good one,

Thru-Thinker

--