[at-l] Learning Determination

In a message dated 5/3/2005 7:34:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwjones@theworld.com writes:

Do any  folks have suggestions on how to "Learn Determination"?
Thanks for any  input

This is an old saw of mine but appropriate to this issue Charles R. Hobbs
wrote a book with the title:  Time Power -- The revolutionary time  management
system that can change your Professional and Personal  Life.   It is about
planning a life for business and pleasure or  whatever is important to an
individual.

In a nutshell it encourages a person to discover the basic foundational
principles upon which they build his or her life.  Some examples from a  Humanist
point of view (in his book he gives examples from various philosophical  or
religious stances) that pertain to a person interested in Hiking, are:   #10.
Value and cultivate friendships, #16 Maintain good health, #17. Be  open to new
possibilities and # 19. Establish and achieve long-range and  intermediate
goals. Others also pertain but I lifted these as examples.

To learn determination, it seems to me, is to make plans and stick with
them.  The lofty long range plans can get burdensome (Hike the 2,174 miles  of the
Appalachian Trail) if Intermediate plans are not formulated (hike through
Georgia in 10 days) implemented by short term or daily action plans (Hike  the
Approach Trail on day one, Hike to Hawk Mt. Shelter on Day two, etc.).   The
determination to hike the AT would then be "learned" as each step of the  plan
is implemented.  Taking the first steps determines the possibility of  action
plans culminating in taking the last steps.

Of course, these principles can work in any situation and the mitigating
factors such as health, accidents, personal problems and the like that interrupt
the steady advance toward the end goal only limit the timeline aspect (unless
 there are catastrophic and/or tragic circumstances) of accomplishing the
goal  set by the individual and not the whole plan or desire.

Another avenue that Underlying Principle # 10 might take a person is in
developing a relationship with a significant other (life long partner, marriage,
children, close friends, etc.).  The long range goals might include the
degree of fulfillment desired in the relationship, the depth of trust one would
want to develop, the surrender of power, and other important desires.  The
Intermediate goal planning would outline steps that lead toward the Long-range
goals, and the Daily-Action-Steps would be like the steps from camping location
to camping location or even shorter steps such as drink water, maintain
energy  by eating snacks or lunch, and so on.  In a relationship plan there might
be a daily or weekly lunch or dinner out, or a special setting at home or a
picnic, etc., and flowers might be involved or some special card, etc., all
leading to the accomplishment of the next Goal.  With daily or short term
action steps and with the end plan in mind there is a minimization of chances  that
a life will be diverted from the desired result.

 Back to the Goal of having a life of Good Health (#16).  If  hiking is see
as a means toward having Good Health then hydration, nutrition,  rest and
socialization will be important and on topic rather than interruptions  of the long
range goal (the realization of reaching Katahdin) and the ultimate  principle
of having good health.  BTW the reaching of K can be one way of  the ultimate
but other ways of getting there are also valid.

This book by Charles R. Hobbs is out of print but can be obtained at
Amazon.com in various states of used.  The condition of the book is not as  important
as the ideas contained and presented by Dr. Charles R, Hobbs. They  pertain
to all of a person's life and give meaning to the small steps that  people seem
to disparage beginning with the question raised by children (and  some
adults) "Why do I have to eat my vegetables?"  This questioning of a  nutritional
nature escalates in school to "Why do I have to learn Math or  Science?" and
then later to "Why do I have to learn Grammar?" to "Why do I have  to dress (a
certain way depending upon profession or vocation) like that?" to  "Why do I
have to exercise?" And so on.  When "WHY" questions are asked  that usually
indicates discomfort with the task and going back to ultimate  principles or
Underlying Principles and then Long Range, Intermediate, and Daily  Action Plans can
give meaning to intentions and purpose to what may seem mundane  or
unnecessary.

Can determination be learned?  I would agree with those who say it can  be
learned and it all comes down to the ability to focus on targets that we have
set for ourselves.

Does anyone do this?  Well, I try.  I would guess that there are  some
successful people who may do it without being conscious about it but for  most
people the degree of success achieved is related to the degree of planning  that
they make important in reaching their goals.

Skylander