From: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces@backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:47 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] A Walk in the Woods---

I really enjoyed A Walk in the Woods.  But I found it had more to do with
people and what they do at mid-life, poor weather and in challenging
situations.  While there are many references to the AT in the book, the
"story" does not require it be there.

A movie could take the duo down the CDT, PCT or a fictional trail and still
be able to Rediscover America.  All you really need are the main characters,
camping gear, poor weather, some zany trail moments, trees, wildlife, funky
trail towns, etc.

If the movie were shot with these two stars, I am certain the references to
the AT would be muted.  When Tom Hanks and a volleyball carried "Cast Away",
did anyone care what Island they were on, or even the ocean??

Mark Nickerson