[at-l] A Walk in the Woods---

In a message dated 5/2/2005 10:47:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nickpvb@bellsouth.net writes:

I really  enjoyed A Walk in the Woods.  But I found it had more to do  with
people and what they do at mid-life, poor weather and in  challenging
situations.  While there are many references to the AT in  the book, the
"story" does not require it be there.
**
You're right.
My AT thru hike was during my mid life crisis...
My hike is over, the crisis continues, away from the AT.

A movie could take the duo down the CDT, PCT or a fictional  trail and still
be able to Rediscover America.  All you really need  are the main characters,
camping gear, poor weather, some zany trail  moments, trees, wildlife, funky
trail towns, etc.

If the movie were  shot with these two stars, I am certain the references to
the AT would be  muted.  When Tom Hanks and a volleyball carried "Cast Away",
did  anyone care what Island they were on, or even the ocean??

Mark  Nickerson
*

LOL!
Good point!