[at-l] A Walk in the Woods---

In a message dated 5/1/2005 10:17:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lbooher@pure.net writes:

Here are  the Google alerts for what we hoped wasn't true and wouldn't
happen.   Hmmmm.........  anklebear

Is the prevailing sentiment one of keeping the hordes off the trail or of
keeping it only for  those who like to hike the AT and have experience  doing so?

I think that the book A Walk in the Woods by Bryson  probably motivated or at
least introduced more people than any other source to  try their feet on the
AT.

I know that some purists frown at the mention of Bryson and his book.   There
just might be a lot of jealousy that someone's Trail Journal didn't make  the
best seller list, but Bryson hiked 250 or so miles, he introduced the ritual
of the Approach Trail to Springer, and he wrote of some of the ecological
dangers that impinge on the hiking community and especially the AT.

I think he would make a great speaker at ALDHA's Gathering in  October.  He
would draw a crowd.

If a movie is produced by Redford and Newman many more will get an
introduction to the Trail.  Hey!  Tent and Hammock sales will go up  because there
won't be enough room in the Shelters along the trail.  That's  good.  Right?

Skylander