[at-l] sunscreen

  Here's an article to the contrary.
   Trash Your Sunscreen and Other Summer Sun Tips
  *By Dr. Joseph Mercola
with Rachael Droege*

It may seem like second nature to you to apply sunscreen before going out in
the sun, as the media has been bombarding Americans with reports of the
dangers of the sun for some time now, but using sunscreen is not a good way
to limit your sun exposure.

Having concerns about skin cancer is valid, however, as its incidence in the
United States has tripled in recent years to 54,000 cases annually, but
sunscreen is one of the LAST things you want to put on your body, and sunblock
does not stop skin
cancer<http://www.mercola.com/2003/oct/18/sunblock_cancer.htm>.
Sunscreen is a toxic chemical that can cause problems in your system and
increase your risk of disease.

The FDA regulates sunscreen as an over-the-counter drug because it contains
"active" ingredients. Following is a list of active ingredients in sunscreen
that the FDA classified as GRASE (generally regarded as safe and effective):

   - Para Amino benzoic acid (PABA)
   - Avobenzone
   - Cinoxate
   - Dioxybenzone
   - Homosalate
   - Menthyl anthranilate
   - Octocrylene
   - Octo methoxycinnamate

   - Octyl salicylate
   - Oxybenzone
   - Padimate O
   - Phenylbenzimidazole
   - Sulisobenzone
   - Titanium dioxide
   - Trolamine salicylate
   - Zinc oxide

*Potential Toxicity
*

Whether some of these ingredients are toxic is controversial and there are
studies <http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/15/sunscreen.htm> on either side of
the issue. But recently, a study in the April 2004 Journal of
Chromatography<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15063329>found
that there is significant penetration of all sunscreen agents they
studied into the skin, and oxybenzone and metabolites across the skin.

So at best when you use sunscreen your body is absorbing synthetic
chemicals, and with experts' recommendations to apply generous amounts of
the product every few hours, you will likely be absorbing a fair amount. It
is hard to believe that all of these chemicals will not have any effect on
your system. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which act as physical barriers
that reflect UV rays, may be less problematic in terms of absorption.

Even though up until now studies on the potential toxicity of sunscreens are
sparse and not definitive, I believe it is wise to reduce your exposure to
synthetic chemicals as much as possible and I don't recommend using
sunscreens at all.

*Sunscreen and Vitamin D
*

There is another major problem with sunscreen aside from the potential
chemical toxicity and that is it blocks your skin's ability to make vitamin
D by more than 95 percent. If you've been reading the site then you are
familiar with the importance of having optimal vitamin D
levels<http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/24/vitamin_d_deficiency.htm>and
know that regular sun exposure is the best way to achieve this.

Rather than burying your skin in sunscreen, it is clearly important to get
regular sun exposure in order to have optimum health.

*Sun Safety Without Sunscreen*

This does not mean that we should all go out and get as much sun as we
want--you must exercise caution and avoiding a burn is key.

At the beginning of the season, go out gradually and limit your exposure to
perhaps as little as 10 minutes a day. Progressively increase your time in
the sun so that in a few weeks you will be able to have normal sun exposure
with little risk of skin cancer. You can further avoid the damage from the
sun by staying out of the sun during the harmful times from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
You can stay in the shade during this time or wear lightweight long sleeve
shirts, long pants and a wide-brim hat.

If you are looking to give yourself further protection against skin cancer,
along with not getting sunburned diet is undoubtedly important.

In 2001, the National Academy of Sciences published a comprehensive
review<http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/98/13/7510>showing that
the omega 6:3 ratio was the key to preventing skin cancer
development. I believe that it is the worsening omega-3:6 ratios that are at
least partly responsible for the rise in skin cancer rates.

Omega-3 and omega-6 fats are both essential for human health, however the
typical American consumes far too many omega-6 fats in their diet while
consuming very low levels of omega-3. While the ideal ratio of omega-6 to
omega-3 fats is 1:1, our ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 averages from 20:1 to
50:1!

The primary sources of omega-6 are corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oil;
these oils are overabundant in the typical diet, which explains our excess
omega-6 levels. Avoid or limit these oils.

Meanwhile, omega-3 fats, found in fish oil and cod liver
oil<http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm>,
need to be increased.

A major part of the problem is that at the beginning of 1900 we had very
little processed vegetable oils <http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/1/oil.htm>,
which are virtually 100 percent omega-6 fat, in our diet. In the last 100
years the U.S. population has gone from consuming virtually no vegetable
fats to consuming more than 70 pounds per year. It is likely this
unnaturally high consumption of omega-6 fats that is totally distorting the
important omega 6:3 ratio.

So as I mentioned above, it is vital to reduce the omega-6 vegetable oils in
your diet as much as possible while increasing the amount of beneficial
omega-3 fats. This is an incredibly important way to prevent skin cancer and
it is spelled out quite clearly in a 2000 Cancer Research
study<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10945621&dopt=Abstract>that
says:

"Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate omega-6 fat
as stimulators and long-chain omega-3 fats as inhibitors of development and
progression of a range of human cancers, including melanoma."

Additionally, consuming many whole vegetables will increase antioxidant
levels in the body, which will provide protection against any sun-induced
radiation damage. Eating the right vegetables for your metabolic
type<http://www.mercola.com/2003/feb/26/metabolic_typing.htm>will give
you the best results, of course.

So if you want to benefit from the sun this summer, and I sincerely hope you
do, throw away your sunscreen and use practical methods like clothing and
shade to protect your skin from the sun when necessary. Always avoid getting
burned, but be sure to get some sun on your skin. Complete avoidance of the
sun is a surefire way to cause some problems for yourself down the road.
------------------------------

*Related Articles:*

Sun-Care Chemical Proves Toxic in Lab
Tests<http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/15/sunscreen.htm>

Slathering on Sunscreen Does Not Prevent
Cancer<http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/2/sunscreen_cancer.htm>

Learn Why the Myth of the Sun Causing Skin Cancer Can Hurt Your
Health<http://www.mercola.com/2002/jun/19/sun.htm>

Let the Sun Shine In (Especially When
Pregnant)<http://www.mercola.com/2000/nov/26/sunshine.htm>

Test Values and Treatment for Vitamin D
Deficiency<http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/23/vitamin_d_deficiency.htm>

Why You Need to Have Your Vitamin D Level Tested
Now<http://www.mercola.com/2003/nov/22/vitamin_d.htm>