From: National Wildlife Federation
[mailto:NationalWildlifeFederation@nwf.m0.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:34 PM
To: gbenkert@fuse.net
Subject: Thought Extinct...Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, Alive!

Today's announcement of a confirmed sighting of the ivory-billed woodpecker
in Arkansas, a species last seen in the wild in the 1930s and long
considered to be extinct, is simply terrific.

The discovery is a wondrous glimmer of life that had been feared forever
dimmed.

We extend our heartiest congratulations to all those involved, including our
colleagues at The Nature Conservancy, the Cornell University Ornithology
Laboratory, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Arkansas Game and
Fish Commission.

We are also proud that the Arkansas Wildlife Federation, our state
affiliate, has long been in the forefront of successful efforts to conserve
the rare bottomland hardwood forest habitat where the ivory-billed
woodpecker has been re-discovered. This area, that includes the Cache and
White River National Wildlife Refuges, has one of the nation's largest
wintering duck populations and is home to several imperiled species. Hunters
and anglers have been indispensable in safeguarding its wildlife values.
That effort has now produced the additional benefit of having provided
sufficient habitat for the ivory-billed woodpecker to survive.

This discovery is also further proof why the ill-conceived $300 million
Grand Prairie pump-canal-and-pipeline project that threatens to drain the
White River water flow through these National Wildlife Refuges and other
adjoining conservation areas is one of the worst ideas ever presented to the
American public by the U.S. Corps of Engineers.

Using the safety net provided to imperiled wildlife by the Endangered
Species Act, we can now look forward to the day our children will enjoy
seeing the ivory-billed woodpecker recovering in the wild.

If you would like to support NWF's efforts to protect the ivory-billed
woodpecker and other endangered wildlife throughout America, please make a
special donation today.

Thank you for making a difference for our children's future.

Sincerely

Larry Schweiger
President & CEO