[at-l] Special License Plates and Such - Esp. the NC AT One! :)

Well, I reckon I just HAVE to wade in on this latest Special License Tag
debate - being a lawyer, and never cooking chicken "before" and such, so
here goes:

1)  The entire darn NC Prison License Plate Print Crew must be on
non-work release or something, as we still have not gotten the first
batch of NC Special AT  License Tags mailed out; it literally should be
any day now - maybe we should each adopt a prisoner there and write them
long letters about political topics until they print our tags in
defensive submission! :)

2)  On the larger legal issues, the special license plate concept
triggers some very interesting lessons in politics and government - as
one poster said, you do indeed have to draw the line somewhere . . . in
NC, any special tag requires a special bill from the General Assembly,
plus a threshhold minimum number of check writing applicants, plus NCDMV
and Highway Patrol review and sign-off on visibility.  While it has been
painfully arduous and slow, I really like the way our process works -
you have to have someone sponsor the bill, and that alone filters out
some of the wilder ideas . . . and it becomes a positive lesson in
grassroots democracy . . . other states have their DMV office control
the entire process, and that is where problems crop up with one group
getting the greased skids, while other groups get the cold shoulder.
That invites litigation . . . but, no matter what the process, it is a
bit of a slippery slope to decide who can and cannot get a tag . . .
again, having the process start with a special bill that must have a
sponsor in the legislature is not a bad way to go to avoid the whole
issue of state agency action/inaction and associated litigation - you
can't sue a legislator for simply refusing to sponsor a bill . . .

3)  RnR is right in his comment that there is a growing tendency in many
states where the DMV agency controls the process to no longer issue new
special tags, or to greatly limit them, based on fears of being sued by
other groups who want to be part of the process where the agency does
not want to serve that group (a good eample is the KKK asking for tags
in some southern states).  Another area where this is cropping up is in
the state roadside cleanup programs - NC has not been able to escape
that one, since that program is run by DMV, and they have to make the
choices . . . I believe the KKK sued to get a sign put up documenting
its segment of raod that it adopted for clean-up and won . . . while my
civil libertarian values support such a decision, it is humbling to
realize that in my honest gut I wanted them to lose - I reckon that just
proves we all have our own personal limits when it comes to our own
concepts of "free speech" . . . and "free speech" issues are only really
sticky in the eyes of the law when they involve state (agency) action or
inaction tied to some form of speech . . . never easy issues, but darn
important ones.

4)  In a very real and humbling sense, it is worth
contem(license)plating the hard fact that I probably could have gotten
more people to sign up for a special KKK license tag, or a special
right-to-life tag, or a special abortion rights tag, or a special
"support our troops" tag, or a special "give peace a chance" tag - than
for the special AT tag that is soon to be a reality on NC registered
vehicles . . . when you think about it that way, it is a sobering and
humbling - and perhaps mind expanding perspective.

Anyhow, I reckon Felix can now become the national ad-man for Chik-Fil-A
. . . and I will go back to writing NC prison print shop prisoners
nastly letters! :)

Thru-Thinker
[Clark]

--