[SPAM] Re: [at-l] sparkling

> In a message dated 4/25/2005 3:42:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gregbrown@mindspring.com writes:
>> I grew up in Arizona and saw many a tarantula, but nothing even near
>> that big.
> Size is one thing but the spiders in Brazil that are about one foot in
> Diameter also can jump and their incisors can easily puncture a
> human's skin.? This brings a question to mind:? Do all Tarantula's
> jjump?? Also, Is the Tarantula the same as the Tarantella??

I believe all tarantulas can jump.  The (comparatively) little ones
found in AZ can jump quite high.  My sister decided she wanted one as a
pet and tried to catch a fair sized tarantula by sliding a piece of
paper under it (??) and from there to try and get it into a cup (and
from there into a cracked aquarium that was going to be thrown away).
Well, as soon as the paper touched the hairs on that thing's legs it
SPRANG up about 18" inches and scared the bejebus out of EVERYONE,
mostly my sister who gave up on her quest immediately.  Despite their
ability to jump tarantulas are quite fragile.  A fall of six inches,
perhaps less, if the spider doesn't land on it's legs "just right" can
kill the spider.  A fall on the back can take as little as three inches
to kill.

Tarantella are different from Tarantullas.  (this is from memory so I
could be wrong) - the Tarantella is also know as the Wolf Spider.  The
Wolf Spider lives in holes in the ground and are big and ugly, but not
as big as the tarantula.   Wolf Spiders spin webs in their burrows but
they run their pray down rather then just waiting for it to get caught
in a web.

Even the tarantula has enemies.  In south america they are roasted over
a fire to remove the hair then eaten (being related to the lobster not
too indirectly I am told they taste similar).  Tarantulas in Arizona
live in fear of the Tarantula Hawk - I kind of super-sized orange and
black bee that stings the spider, drags it off, and lays one egg on top
giving the baby bees something to eat.   The tarantula lives as the
larve hatches and burrows into the spider avoiding all major organs as
long as possible.

These super-bees also sting people and though I was fortunate enough to
not be stung by one I am told they are among the most painful stings of
any create known in nature.

At least the AT doesn't have to contend with these creatures!

Greg