[at-l] Name calling/Renting space in your head

Lin wrote:
>When I read the comment where you referred to me as a lunatic, first I
>admit I felt quite hurt. Then I thought about sad it must be to feel that
>way about someone who you never even met, someone who just posted a short
>comment to thank someone for an interesting article about an American
>statesman.

Lin -
Larry was NOT talking either to you or about you.  He was referring,
rightfully and accurately,  to the person who posted the article.

>I am so glad to say that I went hiking today and feel great.  I am also so
>glad that I am not such an unhappy and angry person as you, and a few
>others on this list.  Perhaps you ought to try hiking sometime.

As I recall, Larry is also a hiker - and a thruhiker.  If he's angry - he
has reason.  That "article" (in reality a highly biased op-ed piece) had no
place on at-l.  Nor does any other similar political "information."

>It is amazing what it can do for your mood and your soul.  You become so
>much calmer and the bitterness toward others just melts away.  I brought my
>binoculars and hiked on the Oakley Plantation when John Audubon painted his
>wonderful bird paintings.  It was such a wonderful day.  I woke up this
>morning to a symphony of singing voices and sat outside and wrote poetry
>before we left to hike.

Keep on hiking.

>You know....when I read all this stuff....this anger and back biting...I
>just don't understand it.

In this case, the anger is justified.

>This talk about Wingfoot has been going on for so many years.  A long time
>ago somebody told me that, if you allow someone to keep upsetting you, then
>you let that person "rent space in your head".  All these years, these
>"Wingfoot haters" keep him alive and well inside their minds.  I don't feel
>the way they do but I have learned not to share my feelings here anyhow.
>But wouldn't it be better to just ignore him if he upsets you so much?

It would be nice to ignore Wingfoot - and for the most part I have.  But
there are those who can't leave him alone.  Usually (99%) it's those who
would idealize him and what he's done (in reality - what they "think" he's
done because he's told them so).  Unfortunately, they keep on pushing false
and/or misleading information.  There ARE still those of us who know better
because we were not only there, but involved up to our eyeballs.  There are
even a few of us who care enough to tell the truth.

There seems to be a popular misconception that when someone says anything
"negative" about WF, they're lying - or "making up stories" - or
"attacking".  What BS!!  When telling the truth is twisted like that - it
makes some of us angry.   Regardless of the subject.

>Life is too short to bicker and make enemies.  You can call me whatever you
>like, Mr. McManus.  But, while you and others there are out fighting ....I
>prefer to be going to be out there enjoying life and fighting to do
>everything in my power to preserve the environment and the AT and trails
>that I so adore.

If the political crap hadn't been posted - by someone who's old enough to
know better - Larry wouldn't have been tempted to say anything.  Point 1
here is that it was certainly crap, if for no other reason than that it does
NOT belong on this list.  I can give you other reasons if you like, but this
isn't the time or place.  Point 2 is that the person who posted it has made
a bad habit of posting that kind of thing for the last year or more.  I'd
suggest that he stop.  If anyone wants to post political material, my
suggestion would be to find a compatible political forum - someplace else.
This suggestion, by the way, applies to both ends of the political spectrum.

>And they wonder why we have war.  Even a list of hikers cannot get along.
>Sad, isn't it?

We have war because 1/ there are people who fail to respect the right of
others to disagree with them and 2/  because in many cases those same people
fail to exhibit "common courtesy" toward others and 3/ because those same
people insist that they have the right to dictate how others should live and
4/ because too many of those people are so convinced of the "righteousness"
of their beliefs that they believe themselves to be above the rules/laws and
that it's permissible to lie, cheat and steal in pursuit of their goals.
"Those people" exist on both the right and the left sides of the political
spectrum.  As a very minor example - they post political "information" on
hiking lists where it's not welcome and where the list owner has
specifically and repeatedly requested that it not be posted.  I've spent the
last year ignoring it.  But it gets damned tiring.  And it's always
annoying.

>I will ALWAYS stand up for what I believe and fight for the right for you
>to do the same.  That, to me anyhow, is what this country is all about.

I have never had a problem with your doing exactly that.  Unless it involves
politics on at-l.

>Hugs anyhow, Hummingbird

Love to you and Jan,
Jim

PS - for Sly - read "Day of Deceit" by R. Stinnett.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/