[at-l] Cell Phones, yet again - the 'rules'

On Apr 19, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Bob C wrote:

> "...I can't simply vanish for weeks
> at at time."
>
> Except, of course that is what everyone with a sense of adventure did
> for most of human experience, as did all long distance hikers, thru
> hikers, and thru hiker wanna bes until about 10 years ago.

Except, of course, that I am not able to do that.  10 years ago I
could.  Today I can't.  In some ways I wish I was still able to drop
off the face of the Earth for weeks or months at a time.  Talk about a
liberating feeling!  But with my life and my circumstances as they are
now, it's just not possile.  Hurray for you (seriously) if you can, I
wish I could too.  That said, the cell phone goes along with me.

Cell phones can be packed and used on the trail with minimal impact to
everyone else if they are properly used and managed.  In all
likelihood, with 2000+ miles of trail and 14 states you won't run into
me or my phone.  And if you do run into me it is doubtful you'll even
know I have a phone with me.

The phone is coming along for the journey.  There are two sides to this
argument and both have valid points.  It's just one thing we're not
going to see eye-to-eye on.

And as for the pervious argument about the snow/ice storm and me
needing to be rescued due to my lack of planning, substitute something
else you *can't* plan for, like a compound fracture of your lower leg
or both legs, or a double concussion, or anything else that might
require expeditious medical treatment.

Greg