[at-l] Re: at-l Cell Phones, yet again - the 'rules'

At 01:38 PM 4/19/2005 -0600, Dave wrote:
>Well sorry what good will a pay phone do me 5 miles down he trial or even
>1 mile when I cant even walk 5 feet. sorry but I have no choice but to
>hike with a satellite phone

How much does one of those things weigh Dave? I've heard reporters who
covered the Iraq War comment about "lugging" them around but they never
mentioned the actual weight. I wonder too how much time you have to get
help if you have a serious sugar problem. What's the time window? Emergency
response times on the AT (or a lot of trails) can run to several hours. Can
your satellite phone get you the help you need in time? If you need help in
minutes rather than hours, have you considered recruiting a hiking partner
who can provide what you need? I know it's difficult but it just might be
your best solution.