[at-l] "Externality": Cell phones, cigarettes, nudity,

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:35:58 -0400
From: Greg Brown <gregbrown@mindspring.com>

> How DARE I keep in touch with my family?!?!?!?
### NOoooooOO. How dare you keep OTHERS in touch with your
family. How dare you force others to take part in half a
conversation, stifling their own natural social instincts to
respond to questions posed. How dare you force others to partake
in your home issues, like some unwitting audio Peeping Toms,
while they're out in the woods, specifically TO GET AWAY from
such issues, and to GET TO what's real. That's the story.

But since you brought it up:
> ... and I'm not planning on using the phone in shelters
(unless I get a signal and we are all freezing to death in a
surprise blizzard/ice storm and I am calling for an emergency
evacuation in which case I think you might take a different
stance on my phone use).
### Not at all. Who's going to come get your unprepared frozen
arse? There is no "surprise"; there is prepare, and there is
make-do. Lynn Wheldon famously observed that "we pack our fears"
-- meaning, our packs are as heavy as our confidence is light.
As often observed in the sell fone debate, fones too often
substitute for preparation, and too often lead to
over-confidence. (I can't believe I'm writing this) Go with a
heavier backpack.

> Knowing how people feel about this issue I can say that my
phone calls on the trail will be discreet and quiet, but they
are going to happen and the phone is going in my pack with me.
### As will mine. No, I don't have one yet, but the payphone
option is just ridiculous nowadays, and I will most probably
carry one this summer. And like profane language, loud cars,
nudity on trail, and a host of other behaviors, I pledge I will
do my level best to "be discreet and quiet." Cuz my guess is
that you too worked your "arse off to get in the woods, on the
*smidgent* of time/money available to [you]," and I would be
mortified to find avoidably intrusive behavior by me had fouled
your backcountry use.

### But maybe that's just me.
'toe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!