[at-l] Giving it all up

Greetings,

As someone mentioned, the largest body of relevant information is probably in the RV living arena.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P83087.asp is a nice beginning article by Scott Burns of the Dallas News.  It has a number of links at that article, but Burns also has a site through the News (requires free registration) that includes an area called "Living Lite" about doing with less:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/scottburns/readers/stories/SBlivinglitereader.6751ea37.html

As I said, this link probably requires registration to view.  Regarding your Social Security, you're safe at 58, regardless of the potential for reform.  The 15 percent of my salary that goes toward the fictional trust fund helps see to that.  I'd like to keep a bit more of it, and accept a lower benefit and later trigger age for benefits as well.

Good luck in your search.  Good luck in your choice.

Take Care,

Tim

SLIM aka Nancy <bogey1@cplx.net> wrote:

Has anyone actually sold everything they own to hike and hike and hike? After 36 yrs in the factory Bogey lost his job at Christmas-time and is still unemployed. He's a depressed 58 yr old man and I am frustrarted with the kind of jobs I have to work to keep us going. We have our home paid off and have no debt plus a few bucks in the bank. We thought about hiking for 8-9 months each year and then travelling (maybe be truckers) for the 4months between. We have all our backpacking gear and much replacement gear. I think we could hike all 8 months for about $6,000, for food, lodging, and other expenses. The logistics of storing family stuff and having a place to live in the cold months is the scary part. How do you keep your driver's license updated while hiking? Health insurance? Life Insurance? Would it be better to rent out the house or sell it (we'll need the home's equity when we retire (esp since "W" is trying to screw us out of Social Security). We would have to sell the cars
 since they would be an insurance liability. Has anyone done this? Thanks.
Any day's a good day to hike,
SLIM aka Nancy

"I do not ask to walk smooth paths, nor bear an easy load,
I pray for strength and fortitude to climb the rock-strewn road.
Give me such courage, I can scale the heartiest peaks alone,
And transform every stumbling block into a stepping stone."
---unknown