[at-l] Giving it all up

On Apr 18, 2005, at 10:21 AM, ken bennett wrote:

>> <<Has anyone actually sold everything they own to hike and hike and
>> hike?>>
>

> You might look around for some books on living the RV lifestyle. I
> know it's
> not the same as the hiking lifestyle, but they might have some good
> ideas on
> how to set yourself up with no real address. Given that a lot of
> retired
> permanent RV-ers sell the house to buy the RV, there might be something
> useful about that question, too.

You might want to check into the Escapees ("http://www.escapees.com/";).
  This group serves mostly RVers who have no permanent address.  The way
it works is there is a county in Texas that will allow you gain
residency without having a minimum amount of square footage.  So what
happens when you join the Escapees is you get an "apartment", which is
actually a file folder, and you can use the PO Box at the Escapees as
your address.

How do you get stuff from Texas to wherever you are at?  You just call
or e-mail the group and tell them where you'd like your mail sent.
They will hold it in Texas and ship it later, or if you have an address
somewhere else, they can ship the mail as it arrives in Texas.  You can
even vote via absentee ballot.

Texas has tax advantages, too.  But talk to your finical advisor about
that.

Also, if you do decide to go the RV route you can "work-camp".  How
this works is you can stay at a camp ground/RV park (some of which are
quite nice) and in turn for doing some light maintenance or working the
front desk you get to stay at the campground for free AND they pay you
a little bit of money, too.  It's a good deal, really.  But most of the
work camp jobs are filled up by this time in the season, but it might
be something you can check into for next year.

If you are thinking at all about doing the full-time RV thing after
your hike send me an e-mail and I can load you down on information to
help get the ball rolling.