[at-l] Giving it all up

Has anyone actually sold everything they own to hike and hike and hike?  After 36 yrs in the factory Bogey lost his job at Christmas-time and is still unemployed. He's a depressed 58 yr old man and I am frustrarted with the kind of jobs I have to work to keep us going. We have our home paid off and have no debt plus a few bucks in the bank. We thought about hiking for 8-9 months each year and then travelling (maybe be truckers) for the 4months between. We have all our backpacking gear and much replacement gear.  I think we could hike all 8 months for about $6,000, for food, lodging, and other expenses. The logistics of storing family stuff and having a place to live in the cold months is the scary part. How do you keep your driver's license updated while hiking? Health insurance? Life Insurance? Would it be better to rent out the house or sell it (we'll need the home's equity when we retire (esp since "W" is trying to screw us out of Social Security). We would have to sell the cars since they would be an insurance liability. Has anyone done this?  Thanks.
Any day's a good day to hike,
SLIM aka Nancy

"I do not ask to walk smooth paths, nor bear an easy load,
I pray for strength and fortitude to climb the rock-strewn road.
Give me such courage, I can scale the heartiest peaks alone,
And transform every stumbling block into a stepping stone."
---unknown