From: "Mark Hudson" <hudsom@us.ibm.com>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:12 PM
Subject: [at-l] My gear...opinions please

What Ginny said!!!

<<Pack: Kelty Trekker 4300, $75.>> 5 pounds 10 oz. Ouch!! That REALLY needs
to be lighter
<<Tent: Eureka Spitfire, $95>>  2 pounds 12 oz. Much better! (at least by
weight)
<<Bag: North Face 0-degree Mummy (Snowshoe I think?)$49>> 3 pounds 10 oz.

I don't argue with peoples choices of bags, it's too personal. I will ask
if you'll really need a zero bag to stay warm. If the answer is yes, at
least plan to swap to a lighter summer weight bag/quilt/fleece blanker
farther up the trail...

The real killer here is the pack. There's really no reason for a long
distance hiker to be carrying a 5+ lb pack anymore. (OTOH in my younger and
less wise days I did my thru with a 6+ lb pack <g>).

skeeter