[at-l] boot question - nylon vs. steel shank

--- Tod Massa <todmassa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As a US Army infrantryman between 1982-85, I really
> never walked all that far.

Nice to see that why I say is actually backed up
actual facts once in a while. :)

Seriously, I think combat boots would be too heavy not
very well suited for most long distance treks.

If someone is looking for a traditional boot that is
fairy light, I am a  huge fan of the Hi-Tech
altitudes. A bargain at $80 (often on sale for $50),
fairly light (2 lbs 8oz  or so for a men's size 10)
and durable. I  hike mainly in sneakers, but they are
worn "around town' during winter, used for the "tween"
season when there is still snow on the ground,  (and
more importantly) are worn for trail work.

They are good option for those who want a compromise
between lightness, a traditional boot and price.
Check it out:
http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/boots/hi-tec_altitude.php

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com