[at-l] Hyponatremia - excessive water use in endurance athletes

Having run a marathon (and I know others on the list have too) the 'water
stations' are a regular feature of the race. They are set up to allow
runners to rehydrate without carrying a water bottle and at least the
Burlington, VT race offered an electrolyte alternative to the water. I'd be
hard put to say the availability of water did me nay harm. I would not have
finished had I had no water.

OTOH I can see where this is at least theoretically possible for an athlete
who is pushing him/herself too hard but I've never seen anything like that
among hikers. Well, I know one hiker who is somewhat crazy but he's crazy
all the time (no one on AT-L).