[at-l] Hyponatremia - excessive water use in endurance athletes

In a message dated 4/14/2005 11:38:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
thornel@attglobal.net writes:

I see  patients who get water intoxication related to medications,
neuroendocrine  problems and behavioral problems. I have seen athletes get
dehydrated, but  can't recall seeing over-hydration. My trainer has noticed
me getting  excessive water during an hour's torture and cautioned  me.

**

Some marathons have cut the number of water stops to keep people from
drinking too much water (something about watering down  our electrolytes,
or something like that). Maybe someone else has info on this, this was all
I could remember.

This action was based on problems the runners encountered at the end
of the races. The number of people with problems at the end of the races
dropped...

hotdog