[at-l] boot question - nylon vs. steel shank

In a message dated 4/14/2005 1:01:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bror8588@aol.com writes:

> Why do people think that equipment has to last the whole journey?   Some
> will
> but a lot of equipment will need to be replaced.  Ah, a new pair  of boots
> as
> you enter New Hampshire -- not a bad idea.

During my "rookie" planning I had the same idea.  $250 Fabiano Rio's with a
replacable Norwegian weld sole.  The only problem is I had to send then to NY
to have the sole replaced.  It costs $75 to replace the soles, but only $100 to
replace the boot in Hanover, NH (I still hadn't learned).

Now, I buy trail shoes, especially if I can find them on sale, but only
expect to get 800-1000 miles out of them.  I do expect my other major gear to last
the entire trail, but will replace clothes and socks as needed.

Sly