[at-l] Hyponatremia - excessive water use in endurance athletes

There is an article in the current New England Journal of Medicine,
reported by AP, regarding electrolyte problems in athletes who drink
excessive water. http://beta.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fit_athletes_water is the
current link to the article for those interested.

I see patients who get water intoxication related to medications,
neuroendocrine problems and behavioral problems. I have seen athletes get
dehydrated, but can't recall seeing over-hydration. My trainer has noticed
me getting excessive water during an hour's torture and cautioned me.

Of interest is the idea that sports drinks may not be protective of
electrolyte abnormalities. This gets back to that famous, regrettable,
Gatorade flame war. I wonder if anyone here has seen water intoxication on
the trail or even considered the possibility?

Sorry if this psychiatrist's interest and knowledge of basic primary care
medicine upsets anyone's sensibilities.

OrangeBug