[at-l] A question of definition.

Don't know yet about whether its just a Catholic term now or not but the definitions I've found do not seem to mention Catholicism.
nun
noun

1. A member of a female religious order living within a community, in obedience to certain vows.
Thesaurus: sister, abbess, prioress, postulant, mother superior, bride of Christ, canoness, anchoress, vestal.

Etymology: Anglo-Saxon nunne: from Latin nonna, originally meaning ?mother'.

Bror8588@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 4/13/2005 11:05:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stephensadams@hotmail.com writes:

Are there nuns who are not Catholic? Or, restated, are the counterparts of
>Catholic< nuns, in other religions, titled differently?

There are "Sisters" in the Lutheran Church, and there is an order of caring
women in the Episcopal church (I think). Anybody know where the word "Nun"
came from?

Skylander