[at-l] A question of definition.

At 11:56 AM 4/13/2005 -0400, Bror8588@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 4/13/2005 11:05:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>stephensadams@hotmail.com writes:
>
>Are  there nuns who are not Catholic?  Or, restated, are the counterparts of
> >Catholic< nuns, in other religions, titled  differently?
>

>There are "Sisters" in the Lutheran Church, and there is an order of caring
>women in the Episcopal church (I think).  Anybody know where the word "Nun"
>came from?
>
>Skylander

 From www.etymonline.com:
nun Look up nun at Dictionary.com
     O.E. nunne, from L.L. nonna "nun, tutor," originally (along with masc.
nonnus) a term of address to elderly persons, perhaps from children's
speech, reminiscent of nana (cf. Skt. nona, Pers. nana "mother," Gk. nanna
"aunt," Serbo-Cr. nena "mother," It. nonna, Welsh nain "grandmother;" see
nanny). Nunnery, c.1275, originally meant "nunhood." Sense of "house of
ill-fame" is first recorded 1593.
nuncheon Look up nuncheon at Dictionary.com