[at-l] PSA

You are entitled to your own medical opinions and treatment,
and we all need to think over the pluses and minuses on PSA  treatment.

I have dead friends and family that didn't get tested, and
live family that did (and had surgery with no quality of life
problems past the first 6 months or so).

Any positive test, needs a follow up test (using the
same type of test as the first one) to verify the PSA # again.
Depending on how high the number is, your options are different.
My uncle, & wifes grandfather got tested, had a sufficiently high  number
& other issues that they needed surgery. Both survived quite  well,
and went on to live high quality lives. My wifes grandfather was in his  70's
and rode his bicycle 25,000 miles in the next 7 years. My uncle is
now in his 90's, and going strong (healthier than I am) 10 years  later.
My father never got tested until it was too late, & died of prostate  cancer.
A PSA number above 4-5 starts raising questions about prostate  questions,
his number was over 2000....

What you do with the results is where the issue is...
When is surgery needed?
IS surgery needed?
What other treatment is available, what is right for each of us?
This is where the money is spent.

What treatment will make us well enough to keep hiking?
We each make our own choices here. If caught early, prostate
cancer is VERY survivable.

hotdog

In a message dated 4/12/2005 12:43:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,