[at-l] Money (The best things in life are free but........)

I don't recommend carrying any more than you think is necessary: there are
stories about hikers throwing away their change before leaving town--to save
weight.
In Franklin, when I stopped, the laundromat was clean as could be, had a broken
change machine and no attendant.  In Fontana, I arrived before anything else
was open and the laundromat was clean, clean, clean.  The change machine must
have worked.
Note: !!!Do NOT put the woolen hat in the drier!!! (ever again)

In North Woodstock someone donated some detergent since the machine was sold
out. Some people put detergent in their bounce boxes.

The Walmart prepaid phone card worked everywhere I tried it.
Some people who have taken a credit card have said they really needed two since
somewhere along the way an ATM ate one.  I was lucky(?): no ATM machine that
has the mechanism to eat my card would accept it anyway.

On the issue of credit vs debit cards, credit cards can be a mess.  If your
limit is too low and you have to buy equipment, you can be socked with a fee
for spending too much.  The CC company won't decline to pay, they'll let you go
over and charge you extra.
In my case, my CC bills were paid automatically.  That means there's a lag
between presentation of the bill and payment so the total amount charged can
add up for more than a month.

--- Leslie Booher <lbooher@pure.net> wrote:
> No, No, NO to the roll of quarters!  Of course, they do make a $5 roll, but
> many phones will take a debit card, nowadays.  I misunderstood the
> instructions in whatever I'd read before our first hike, and I pulled a roll
> of quarters out at the laundromat.  My hiking partner laughed for a week.
>
> You can get change in machines at the laundromat.  In fact, look around the
> laundromat before you buy detergent.  Especially look in the trash.  My
> hiking partner and I have found enough detergent left in bottles and boxes
> (or even a huge pile on the floor one day that we could scoop enough off of
> the top) that we could do our laundry without spending money on that.
>
> At most, a phone will need only 35¢.  Don't carry all those quarters.  And
> Saunterer's suggestion of a pre-paid phone card is right "on the money".  A
> plastic re-loadable phone card weighs nothing much.
>
> anklebear

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03