[at-l] Re: at-l Credit vs. Cash and Buy vs. Mail (Victoria Roush)

At 03:54 PM 4/11/2005 -0400, gypsy97@bellsouth.net wrote:
>I think one of the first things you should do is get a guide to
>thru-hiking the AT.  I used and recommend the one by Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce.
>Among other things, he lists places to resupply, post offices along the
>way, hostels, hotels that are friendly to thru hikers, and tons of other
>good information.  There are those who prefer a different publication, and
>they will tell you about that I'm sure.  But outdoor outfitters usually
>carry them, and REI & EMS for sure.  Look them over and see which one is
>put together so YOU can understand and follow it.  (I looked at hiker
>friends' AT Thru Hikers Companion and found it less than satisfactory, but
>they felt the same way about my Wingfoot Guide.  Suit yourself.)

Thoughts on Wingfoot's Thru-hiker Handbook VS ALDHA's Companion: While it
is true that the style of one may be more appealing than the other you
should also consider who/what you are supporting with your purchase.
Purchase of the Companion supports the ATC and ALDHA. Purchase of the
Thru-hiker Handbook supports Wingfoot. Style, IMHO, isn't as important a
consideration as supporting the trail and the organizations that maintain
it. YMMV. In the end, neither will be entirely accurate as things change
between press deadlines and when you get there while reading the printed page.