[at-l] Newbe Question. Cellphone coverage

Jason,

I use Cingular CDMA - and its coverage isn't the best.  You should get
coverage along the ridgelines and mountain tops.  You will have no signal
from Deep Gap to Plumorchard and a spotty signal from Plumorchard to
Standing Indian.  You should have an ok signal from Standing Indian to
Albert Mtn.  You'll get a signal off an on from Albert to Siler Bald.
There's no signal at the Siler shelter but there is a good one at the top of
Siler Bald.  There's an occasional signal on the trail from Siler to the
Wayah Crest picnic area and then you have a decent signal all the way to and
over Wayah Bald and most of the way down to Wesser.  I had no signal from
just past Tellico to Wesser and all the way back up to the dam.  Signals are
spotty again as you go up and down in the GSMNP.

I believe cellphones are nice to have - just in case of an emergency - but
in reality, your best bet is to learn wilderness first aid and try to have
contacts along the trail that would know if you are missing.  The response
time for ANY medical emergency is just too long.

Hope this helps,

Charles