[at-l] Newbe Question. Cellphone coverage

Jason has entered the strange world of cyber-hiking with the dreaded
question of cell phone coverage!

Welcome to the list, Jason. Cell Phones tend to be one of those topics that
elicit rage from some quarters, particularly those able to detect your cell
phone, hidden away in your pack, turned off, yet somehow ruining their
personal sense of wildness.

In general, cell phones are not worth their weight due to poor coverage and
limited battery life. I can assure you that Cingular is essentially useless
in the mountains of NC and TN. Verizon seems to have a better reputation.
You will find some towns do not have coverage, for instance Hot Springs, NC

911 coverage is one of those possible bonuses that often fails to actually
help. One still has to be able to direct 911 to your location, with self
evacuation usually a better plan for aiding rescue. You have essentially no
control over where your 911 call would go, with centers in NC or TN failing
to connect to each other or have familiarity with AT names and places.

But welcome to the list. Grab a log by the cyber campfire. I hope someone
will find that bag of smashmellows and let you toast one.

OrangeBug