[at-l] A Walk in the Woods (not the book)

I took a little 6 mile walk today. Actually 4 of the miles were on the road
to and from the woods. The woods are a State reforestation area 2 miles
from my home. On the way are a few houses, one of the few remaining family
farms and a marsh that is upstream from a beaver flow.

Most of our ice and snow are gone. I've been walking all week, well that is
to say every day, part of the day. I haven't been literally walking all
week. Gotta be careful how you say stuff. Earlier this week there were lots
of snow banks where the plows pushed the show back and the marshes and
beaver ponds were still covered with spongy ice but now there are ducks
swimming in the ponds and only traces of the spongy ice around the hummocks
of marsh grass at the shaded edges of the march. Amazing how fast the snow
and ice goes when there are 4-5 days of above freezing weather. Today it
got all the way to 50*F. A veritable heat wave.

The woods road was very mucky with truck sized pools of water in low spots.
Some of the pools still had ice on the bottom. I lingered a few times to
take photos of young beech trees with their pale beige leaves still
clinging to the branches. If leaves were hikers, the beech leaves would be
thru-hikers. They definitely have the most persistence. There's something I
like about beech trees, the grey bark, the leaves that won't let go until
new ones push them off the limb. I took a black and white photo many years
ago of a young beach in these same woods during winter. I scanned the
picture into my computer and learned to use Photoshop by coloring each of
the leaves in two shades of orangy beige, one by one. I love that picture.

The whole hike took about 2 and a quarter hours. When I got back my left
achilles tendon was sore. I've had intermittent problems with that ever
since I was a runner. This time is different though. It's swollen, a marble
sized hard lump, and the area is red. I'm icing it and then I'll stretch
it. I hope that takes care of the problem. It was a good walk.

Wishing one and all good walks.

Saunterer