[at-l] Update on Longhaul

Quite an adventure.  It is lousy when one cannot go forward due to  physical
problems.  I had the same experience last year but when it  happened I was
over three miles from a road (Gooch Gap Road) and I took the  opportunity to
enjoy Justus Creek, while camping there hoping all the time that  my left knee
would somehow get better with a couple of days rest. Without the  pack I was able
to walk around (limping along) and I took the time to explore  the various
campsites that have sprung up in the area.  It was exhilarating  to be deep in
the woods (well, deep in that there were no roads stores in the  area) with
enough food to sustain me for about five days and no time  expectations from
anyone.  I did finally limp over to Gooch Gap Mountain  Shelter where the
miraculous gathering occurred as hikers just showed up.   The next day -- a slow
limping walk down to Gooch Gap gave me the realization  that my hopes needed some
adjustment.  I thought that if I could spend a  day or two at The Hikers Hostel
with Josh and Leigh Saint that my knee would  heal and I would be able to
start again.  After a hot bath/soak and with no  improvement I requested a ride
to Atlanta (to the MART station) and caught a  train to Atlanta where AMTRAK
was scheduled to make a northern run to NYC.   What a great time it was and I
look forward to returning in 2006.

Skylander