[at-l] Most Difficult Mile?

I just watched 2000 MIles to Maine last night and I was quite surprised
to see close-ups of the climb up Katahdin.  I'm not sure if I am better
off having seen that or not!  I suppose sometimes there can be "too
much information".

 From the folks who have summited Katahdin how long did the hike up
take?  I imagine that the vast majority, once on top of the mountain,
hike back down to the campground.  Is there a time in the day when it
is simply too late to summit due to time constraints to hike back down
with some daylight to spare?