[at-l] I Have This Friend

Yes, that can be true.  In this instance I had another job lined up so
I essentially got a nice separation check for walking out the door.

Eight months later, however, when the company I was working for shut
the doors with two days notice I was on unemployment.  Quite a shocker,
too.  I've had a steady income without breaks since I first started to
deliver newspapers at 9 years old.  Now I'm thinking about taking six
months off without pay voluntarily (!!) to thru-hike the AT in 2007.
The tables have turned, I suppose.

Greg