[at-l] Glasses or contacts

I have very bad eyesight, -7.25 + a little astigmatism.  I wear
contacts and carry glasses.  If I lost a contact, I could wear
something over one eye and manage OK, but if I couldn't wear them at
*all*, I'd be in very deep water indeed without my glasses.

I used to sleep with them in when hiking, but that rapidly became
uncomfortable and I stopped doing it.  Shortly thereafter, the eye docs
started saying you should never do that.  When I was in high school, I
accidently fell asleep with hard lenses in and scratched a cornea.
That is *very very* painful and you do not want it to happen to you,
believe me.  Chances are much lower with soft lenses, but it's still
possible if your eyes get dry enough.

I've never had an eye infection, and I've been wearing contact lenses
since I was 12.  I'm reasonably careful to clean my hands before I
handle them, but that's about it.  I use a little visine bottle that I
refill with saline, and it lasts me about a week, but I have to be
pretty tight with it.  I'd just carry another if I was farther between
resupplies.  When I was out on the trail for two months, I wore a
different kind of lens, but with my current ones, I'd put fizzies (and
a big bottle of saline and a spare little visine bottle probably) in my
bounce box to keep the lenses as clear as possible.

-Nicole