[at-l] I Have This Friend

A couple thoughts.  As was previously mentioned many states and
counties require you two submit X resumes each week while on
unemployment and go in a periodic reviews to ensure that you are doing
"your end" of the work to qualify for unemployment.

Instead of quitting your friend can come straight out and asked to be
laid off.  I did this at Lucent a couple years ago.  I volunteered for
the layoff early, got my exit package, and out the door I went.

A third option is to investigate her companies short term disability
plan.  If the job is causing that much stress, and I have lived through
jobs that did and seen jobs that were even worse, there may be a chance
a physician could claim that the stress is causing physical damage to
her (high blood pressure, lack of sleep, constant bouts of insane mood
swings, etc) and he might sign the forms claiming that she is disabled.
  And, if so, she gets a percentage of her paycheck for a couple months
while she walks the woods and levels back out.

I'd investigate option #3.

Greg