[at-l] Section from a book.

[The following is all quoted from a book, below.]

(To the question) I want to do something, but what can I do?  I'm just one
person, an average person.  I can't have an impact.  I live with the despair
of my own powerlessness.  I can't bring myself to do anything.  The world is
so screwed up, and I have so little power.  I feel so paralyzed.

***

I have an illness that causes intermittent bouts of paralysis.  ...  And
that paralysis has taught me ... that my protestations of my own
powerlessness are bogus.  Yes, some days I can't move or see.  But you know
what?  Some days I can move.  Some days I can see.  And the difference
between being able to walk across the room and not being able to walk across
the room is epic.

I commute to campus by foot along a railroad track.  In spring, I come
across turtles who have gotten stuck.  The track is littered with the
hollowing shells of turtles that couldn't escape the rails.  So, I bend
over, and I pick up the still living trapped turtles that I do find.  I
carry them to a wooded area and let them go.  For those turtles, that much
power that I have is enough.

I'm just like those turtles.  When I have been sick and housebound for days,
I wish someone-anyone-would talk to me.  To hear a human voice say my name;
to be touched: that would mean the world to me.

One day an attack hit me while I was walking home from campus.  ...  There
was snow on the ground, and more snow was falling from the sky.  I struggled
with each step; wobbled and wove across the road.  I must have looked like a
drunk.  One of my neighbors, whom I had never met, stopped and asked if I
were okay.  He drove me home.

He didn't hand me the thousands of dollars I needed for surgery.  He didn't
take me in and empty my puke bucket.  He just gave me one ride, one day.  I
am still grateful to him and touched by his gesture.

I'd lived in the neighborhood for years, and so far he has been the only one
to stop.  The problem is not that we have so little power.  The problem is
that we don't use the power that we have.

***

I was once a Peace Corps Volunteer.  I also volunteered for the Sisters of
Charity, the order begun by Mother Teresa.  When people learn of these
things, they sometimes act impressed.  I am understood to be a virtuous
person.

***

To put myself through college, I worked as a nurse's aid.  I earned minimum
wage.  I wore a pink polyester uniform and I dealt with the elderly and the
dying, ignored people who went years without seeing a loved one, who died
alone.  When I speak of this job, I never impress anyone.  I am not
understood to be a virtuous person.  Rather, I am understood to be working
class.

I loved this difficult, low-paid work ... because I physically and
emotionally touched people everyday, all day long; I made them comfortable;
I made them laugh; I challenged them; they rose to meet the challenges.  In
return, patients shared with me the most precious commodity in the universe:
their humanity.

This ... is not a protest against selfishness, which, well done, can be a
beautiful thing.  ...  The right dress worn by the right starlet on Oscar
night probably does as much to feed the soul as a perfect haiku.

***

The Lamed Vov Tzaddikim are the thirty-six hidden saints of Jewish folklore.
  Unlettered and insignificant, they work at humble trades and pass
unnoticed.  Because of these anonymous saints, the world continues to exist.
  Without their insignificant, unnoticed virtue - Poof! - God loses divine
patience, and the world goes up in smoke.

Sometimes we convince ourselves that the "unnoticed" gestures of
"insignificant" people mean nothing.  It's not enough to recycle our soda
cans; we must Stop Global Warming Now.  Since we can't Stop Global Warming
Now, we may as well not recycle our soda cans.  It's not enough to be our
best selves; we have to be Gandhi.  And yet when we study the biographies of
our heroes, we learn that they spent years in preparation doing tiny, decent
things before one historical moment propelled them to center stage.

***

Besides the pressure of virtue as an unattainable status reserved for the
elect, there may be another reason why people don't live their own ideals.
It may be that many who do not live what they believe have been stunted.
They've been told many times: "What you feel does not matter; what you
believe is ridiculous; what you envision is worthless; just sit back and
obey the priest, the preacher, the teacher, the cop, the mob, the man in
charge, or your own fear."  When the still, small voice whispers to them
that they ought to visit an elderly neighbor, or write a letter to the
editor, or pull a few strings and let the indigent patient in to see the
doctor, even though the red tape says they cannot, they tell the still,
small voice "Stifle yourself!"

***

While working or traveling in Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe, I
occasionally met people who really did have next to nothing, but who stunned
me with their insistence on the abundance of their own humanity.  One
afternoon, as I trekked to my teaching post in the Himalayas, a monsoon
storm turned day into night and a landslide wiped out my trail.  I got
terribly lost; coming to a strange village, exhausted, I sat on the porch of
a peasant home.  Inside, the family was eating roasted cow-corn kernels for
dinner.  Roasted cow-corn kernels were to be their entire dinner; there was
nothing else on their menu.

A man inside saw that a human form was sitting on his porch.  He couldn't
have seen that I was American, or anything else, for that matter.  It was
dark night by then, in a village without electricity. In any case,  I was
wearing a sari.  He whispered to his wife, "Someone is sitting on our porch.
  We have to cook rice."  Rice is the highest status food in that economy.
And, by "rice," they meant, for them, an elaborate meal consisting of rice,
lentils, and vegetables.

***

Danusha Veronica Goska.  From The Impossible Will Take a Little While: A
Citizen's Guide to Hope in a Time of Fear, edited by Paul Loeb (Basic Books,
www.theimpossible.org), named the #3 political book of Fall 2004 by the
History Channel and American Book Association.