[at-l] Toe's post re hike prep issues, and those pesky check engine lights

In running quickly thru the past few digests, I would like to offer a
couple of comments:

1)  Re Sloetoe's statement re lack of intelligence to add an avoidable
"handicap" to a thruhike, I would like to at least offer a softer
perspective.  I think the amount and type of pre-hike training and
preparation you do is a very personal thing.  I have seen (anecdotally)
almost as many a potential thru-hiker hurt his or her chances by
over-training before starting as by undertraining . . . and I have seen
retired 65 year olds show up with 70 pound packs and no training and
make it all the way because they were humble and open-minded enough to
accept wisdom and help from others while watching very fit, seemingly
fully prepared and well-equipped hikers quit after just a few weeks
because they realized that a thru-hike was just not right for them - at
least at that particular point in their lives.  To me, the hardest part
of pre-hike preparation is trying to figure out enough about who you
are, and what makes you tick, and why you want to do this at a
particular time to help prepare those closest to you (family, spouses,
significant others, employers, etc.) for a 5-6 to 10 month absence . . .
not to mention the changed being that will return at the end of that
journey.  No matter what gear you have, what shape you are in, and what
personality type you are, the single most important factors are your own
personal growth once you hit the Trail, and how those you love support
or do not support you emotionally and spiritually . . .

2)  Re that pesky engine light that has presented Jim with a real
challenge in his own journey, I am a big believer that check engine
lights, while sometimes serving legitimate functions, are fast becoming
a stealth tool for revenue generation by the auto industry.  Heck, on
newer cars, you darn near can't run the thing once those lights and
bells start flashing, and - like with my 2000 maxima recently - that
$600.00 oxygen sensor didn't make one whit of difference in pre-repair
versus post-repair enginer performance or gas mileage.  Now, having said
that, there are some major things that these lights can legitimately
diagnose, but - just as with major surgery recommended for your own body
- definitely get a second opinion from an independent repairshop who
knows your vehicle type but is not tied to the manufacturer, and who has
the tools to turn the darn thing off and do a lesser repairwork job if
that will suffice to protect your vehicle . . . and try to find a
mechanic who can relate to your story about the financial dilemma this
poses, and see if they can work with you . . .  good luck, Jim!

Thru-Thinker