[at-l] Speaking of wildlife...

In a message dated 3/21/2005 11:54:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

How  large is a black bear's home range?

The size of the home range varies  depending upon the abundance of food.  In
an area with lots of berry  and nut producing plants a territory will be
smaller
than in an area with  scarce food supplies.  Yearling females often share the
territory of  their mothers, but young males may travel far to find their own

territories.  In Minnesota, a sow's home range is 2-6 square  miles.  The
breeding territory of an adult male can cover over 100  square miles to
overlap with
many female home ranges.

http://www.americanbear.org/faq.htm

**

I think the bears home range is about 20 feet short of where I was walking
on the AT in 2003.... I heard a few, but never saw one.... Are you sure bears
are real? Maybe someone made them up.. ;-)

hotdog AT 03