[at-l] 100% on topic

On Mar 21, 2005, at 16:00, Frank Looper wrote:

> Doesn't anybody on this
> list go hiking?

I am fortunate enough to live between the Chester Gap and Manassas Gap
road crossings of the AT, and I go out there 3 or 4 times a week.  I
have a personal favorite hill -- I love the meadow up 700 ft south from
VA55.  It even has a pretty little pond if you hike down off the AT a
little.

Today I hiked south from VA638 past Jim and Molly Denton to Mosby Camp
site.  I was going to stop at the shelter, but a yellow dog didn't want
me to and no one stopped him.  I'm not afraid of dogs, but I didn't
need a rest anyway and I hoped those people would be gone when I passed
by again.  They weren't, and I just didn't feel like meeting people who
would let their dog chase people off with no attention paid at all.  If
I needed to stop there, I would have, but oh well.

Over the weekend, I hiked N from VA55 to Manassas Gap Shelter.  All
these trails are in good shape, not even muddy right now and no
blowdowns.  All the snow is gone too, finally.

Last week, I did some hiking on Massanutten.  I love the trail that
used to be "Massanutten East", but now it's just Massanutten, I think.
It goes past Buzzard Rock, which has a nice view.  There's a lookout
down to the Fort Valley along a sheer cliff, and I really like that bit
of trail.

I'm currently planning my spring AT hike wherein I will do Erwin to
Damascus.  Last year, I finished Virginia and went over the 1000 miles
hiked mark.

  I've switched this year to a G5 pack, and I'm kind of nervous about
having so little sleeping pad, so I'll probably do a shake out
overnight in SNP north from Loft Mountain.  Thank you to whomever gave
me the tip of using a little bag full of rocks instead of a carabiner
or my frustrating attempts to tie a cord around a rock.  That's 1.5
ounces I don't have to carry.

I guess that's enough for the moment.  :)  Does anyone else use a
Gossamer pack?

-Astrogirl