[at-l] Same old, Same Old---

At 04:37 PM 3/20/2005 -0500, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>            "  It was meant to be a respite from the
>city but even the original proposal envisioned camps and communities *on*
>the trail which was far more "civilization" than eventually came about. "
>

>            I doubt Saunterer could substantiate that with any proof.

MacKaye's own words: "The project is one for a series of recreational
communities throughout the Appalachian chain of mountains from New England
to Georgia, these to be connected by a walking trail. Its purpose is to
establish a base for a more extensive and systematic development of
outdoors community life. It is a project in housing and community architecture."