[at-l] Same old, Same Old---

At 08:27 AM 3/20/2005 -0500, Leslie Booher wrote:
>the Trail WAS meant to bypass as much civilization as
>possible.
>

>As I understand it, there's far more trail on private, off-road land than
>there was when the trail was built.  The 20 mile road walks are a thing of
>the past.  anklebear

While it is true that the trail was on roads for many miles initially that
was a matter of necessity rather than intent. It was intended to be a walk
through the woods over mountain ridges. In order to make the trail
continuous they routed where they could at the time and gradually acquired
the lands to move it off the roads. It was meant to be a respite from the
city but even the original proposal envisioned camps and communities *on*
the trail which was far more "civilization" than eventually came about.