[at-l] Re: watches

Dancin Free,

Reference your question, 03-18-05, ?Does knowing the barometer readings help
in predicting the upcoming weather??

Yes.  You put your finger on the important point, the readings.  A single
reading isn?t always all that helpful.  It is the direction of the readings
which is most helpful in predicting the upcoming weather.  Falling readings
indicate a low pressure system is approaching, typical of weather changing
for the worse, assuming rain is ?worse.?  Rising readings indicate a high
pressure system is approaching, with improving weather conditions.

One problem is most barometers and most altimeters use the same basic system
- the barometric change.  As you change altitude, hiking up and down
mountains, the altimeter registers a change in altitude and the barometer
tends to indicate a change in the weather.  The correction feature for
barometers is EXPENSIVE.  It is not usually incorporated in combination
watches.

Another problem which I personally have is, YOU?RE OUT THERE regardless of
temperature or weather.   You already know whether you?re comfortable, or
hot, or cold.  You don?t need a thermometer to tell you that.  Were you
actually going to continue hiking, but now, knowing the ?exact? temperature
from your wrist thermometer, you?re going to abort your hike?

Your wrist barometer, with its limited range of pressure readings isn?t
going to tell you the weather is going to be so bad as to become
treacherous.  To accomplish this, you need a compensated barometer, and pay
close attention to and record the readings faithfully.  If you plan a short
hike, you?ll rely upon the weather report you listened to before left for
the hike.  If it?s a long distance hike, the option of leaving becomes even
more absurd.  You?re probably not going to be in a position to say, ?Oh me,
oh my, the barometer suggests bad weather ahead, I think I?ll leave.?
Besides, some hikers usually come along, semi-hysterically reporting a bad
weather forecast which they heard on the radio they carry.

Don?t worry.  Keep it simple.  ?Time's a tickin' ? which is about all you?ll
need to know; whether it?s about time you crawled out of your bag, and it?s
about time you found a campsite.

Relax over the next 16 days.

All the best,

Steve